Increasing people’s access to and use of priority health services, such as reproductive health care, is a fundamental goal of health systems strengthening. Abt Associates combines multifaceted expertise, practical experience, and innovative models to strengthen the delivery of priority health services to people all over the developing world, particularly to vulnerable populations, including women and children.
We work with governments, non-governmental organizations, faith-based organizations, and community groups to identify and address constraints to service delivery in the public and private sectors. We build in-country capacity to improve maternal, neonatal, and child health, family planning/reproductive health services. We strengthen interventions that combat HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, and emerging infectious diseases, and address chronic and non-communicable diseases. Our experts addressconstraints affecting different components of health systems, including:
- Supervision, monitoring and accountability;
- Planning, management and human resource issues;
- Resource distribution, financing, and pharmaceutical supply;
- Information sharing, coordination, and referral systems; and
- Community engagement and mobilization.
Our work includes:
- Developing evidence-based clinical guidelines and standards;
- Providing pre-service and in-service clinical training;
- Conducting quality assurance and performance improvement;
- Appling behavior change communication to improve provider counseling skills and increase patient demand for services; and
- Engaging private sector providers to improve health outcomes.
Our health systems strengthening approach and experience engaging the private sector ensure that improvements in access to and delivery of quality health care services are sustainable and institutionalized in the long term.