2021 UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26)
We will be hosting side events focused on taking critical climate action, and recapping key takeaways throughout the two-week event. Connect with us to stay engaged.
The time for action is now. Abt Associates is redoubling efforts to address climate change in our global operations, and our teams are bringing the full breadth of their expertise across sectors, geographies, and disciplines to help public and private sector partners meet this existential crisis. It will take all of us to urgently accelerate progress.
- Kathleen Flanagan, President & CEO, Abt Associates
Clean Energy Solutions and Climate Finance Mobilization
From streamlining power sector planning and policy-making to mobilizing private sector investment and scaling up lending – we work to bring about the transition to equitable, reliable, and sustainable energy, and a just transition to net-zero. Our services include:
- Regional energy trade and integration, power sector planning, and climate vulnerability mitigation.
- Policy and smart incentives design for clean energy.
- Public-private-partnership development.
- Project finance risk mitigation through tools, resources, and guidance.
- New business models development to overcome investment barriers in emerging markets.
- Product development and risk mitigation mechanisms for commercial financing institutions.
- Gender- and equity-led climate investment strategies.
Tools and Analyses to Drive Action Towards Net Zero
Our analyses support the development of markets and market-based approaches, monetize the value of nature-based solutions, inform regulatory development, and generate trusted evidence that advances climate action across sectors and scales. Our services include:
- Cost-benefit analyses and co-benefit monetization of nature-based solutions.
- Health climate impacts and mitigation co-benefits.
- Environmental justice screening tools.
- Climate impacts communication and indicator visualization.
- Geospatial analytics and decision support tools.
- Short-lived climate pollutants accounting and mitigation.
- Adaptation planning and capacity building for resilience.
Mainstreaming Climate Risk Management and Bolstering Resilience
We systematically apply a climate lens to programs and challenges within health, housing, natural resources, education, and economic growth. Through a context-sensitive approach, we develop risk mitigation plans grounded in participatory engagement and underpinned by data, which also enables the quantification and monetization of climate risk management benefits. Our services include:
- Sector-specific climate risk management and adaptation strategies.
- Flood risk geospatial modeling to fill in downscaled climate data gaps.
- The extrapolation and valuation of climate risk management benefits.
- Precision geography to determine highly localized risks.
- Inclusive and participatory stakeholder engagement.
- Explaining complex climate change indicators through innovative, interactive communications
- Evaluations of distributions of resilience program benefits
Centering on Climate Equity
We center on elevating the voices of those affected most by climate change. We characterize the uneven distribution of adverse effects across marginalized populations, assess cumulative risk, quantify co-benefits of climate action, and facilitate the inclusive co-creation of solutions. Our services include:
- Indigenous People’s lifeway climate risk characterization, and community-driven resiliency planning and implementation.
- Gender-responsive programming, voice, and empowerment.
- Cultural humility and inclusive participatory engagement.
- Visualizations integrating demographic data with physical climate models to assess distributional impacts effecting marginalized communities
Inclusive and sustainable economic development for fossil-fuel dependent communities and those who are traditionally economically disenfranchised.
WHO Health Pavilion Sessions
- Thursday, November 4, 13:00 - 14:00 BST: Climate Migration: Moving from a Reactive to a Health System Strengthening Response
- Tuesday, November, 9, 17:00 - 18:00 BST: The Case for Mitigating Black Carbon – Climate and Health Co-Benefits
- Friday November 12, 10:00 - 11:00 BST: Driving Health Service Equity through Climate-Smart Private Sector Engagement, a Case for Electrifying Rural Health Clinics
- Managing Risks and Uncovering Opportunities: Toward Consistent Climate Preparedness
- Why Methane Needs to Be a Top Priority at #COP26
- Climate, Health, and Environmental Justice: Designing Equitable Cap-and-Trade Programs
- EVs, GHGs, and the Infrastructure Deal: What We Know So Far
- Climate Priority: Reducing Methane Leaks from Pipelines
- Breaking Cassandra’s Curse: Advancing Climate Legislation Through Better Communication
- Justice40: Is Your Federal Program Ready?
- Clean Power Asia
- Climate Economic Analysis for Development, Investment, and Resilience (CEADIR)
- Abt’s Cost-Benefit Tools Excel at Addressing Climate Change Strategies
- Climate Integration Support Facility (CISF)
- Analyzing Climate Change Impacts, Risks, and Mitigation Benefits for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Community Resilience Toolkit for Climate-Related Hazards
- Building Low-Emission Alternatives to Develop Economic Resilience and Sustainability in the Philippines
- Capturing Methane from Wastewater in Developing Countries
- Supporting Best Practices for Coalmine Methane Recovery
Abt Associates’ Climate and Energy Practice is a cutting-edge, in-house technical team with more than 30 years of experience supporting natural resource management, finance mobilization, and climate action across the U.S., Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and UK and Europe. Meet our team of experts