Building Resilience and Growth in Eastern Europe
- Reducing the risk of conflict and instability in Eastern Europe
- Collaboration with reformers on politically astute technical assistance/policy support
- Strengthened countries that have open, inclusive institutions, economies, and societies
Our joint challenge with domestic reform owners is to:
- Reform regulation of the business environment and economic governance to promote broad-based economic growth and job creation
- Build institutional capacity to improve governance, public administration, and management of public finances
- Implement anti-corruption measures and judicial reform to strengthen the rule of law
- Modernise key sectors and reform state-owned enterprises to support transition to market-driven, modern economies
- Help country partners address immediate and long-term effects of COVID and malign geo-political influences.
In support of the Good Governance Fund, Abt’s approach is to deliver a flexible, scaled, and mixed project portfolio that adapts to contextual changes and responds to emerging trends, issues, and opportunities to catalyse reform processes. We will integrate international technical expertise with an intimate understanding of local need from our Kyiv Ukraine Hub so that assistance is responsive and appropriate and promotes sustainable local ownership. And we will work with the UK government through embassies and stakeholders to reflect the priorities of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
Abt designed and delivered a legislative framework and market development strategy for leasing financing services in Georgia. We supported the Ukrainian government’s introduction of a COVID-19-responsive and more gender-inclusive Labour Code. We analyzed the current tax administration framework and tax rates in the Chisinau municipality, Moldova, with a view to improve tax revenue and public financial management.
Abt also has collaborated with the Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine to build key foundational documents, including situation analysis, policy options, and modelling for the development of a Donbas Economic Transformation Strategy, to support reintegration efforts of occupied parts of Eastern Ukraine.