GuideME: EPA’s Tool for TRI Reporting Guidance
- EPA wanted to make regulatory reporting guidance more accessible.
- Abt built GuideME, an Oracle-based database and application, optimized for presentation and enhanced by natural language processing.
- GuideME provides an accessible, one-stop reporting guidance solution for Toxics Release Inventory stakeholders.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) faced discontinuation of support for legacy Lotus Notes databases, which had previously hosted archives of reporting guidance materials that were inaccessible to the public. The Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) program tasked Abt Associates with building a database and application to host this legacy content and newly developed guidance materials. The system has evolved into the single source for EPA’s official TRI reporting guidance. As part of 20-plus years of ongoing support for this client, Abt brought reporting guidance into the modern era.
Abt built GuideME - a custom Oracle-based, modular database with an integrated Application Express (Apex) front end. GuideME is designed to work seamlessly with the client’s existing IT infrastructure, and is enhanced by natural language processing. Users can easily conduct granular searches for relevant reporting guidance through reporting instructions, supporting documents, and frequently asked questions modules.
GuideME allows the agency to efficiently publish regulatory guidance in accessible, web-formatted content and PDF versions through its customizable, modular domain. Specifically, the site offers users:
- Reporting Forms and Instructions that are updated annually
- Searchable chemicals lists
- Chemical- and industry-specific guidance documents, policy directives, and training materials
- Almost 1,000 searchable Q&As
- Additional client-facing modules, including a question response hub and correspondence archive.
EPA’s TRI GuideMe site