Improving Patient Choice: Meaningful Measures of Home Health and Hospice Care Quality
- CMS wanted meaningful data to help people when choosing home health and hospice care.
- Abt updated current tools and quality measures, and developed new ones.
- The reporting systems will help patients and families select the care they need.
To help patients and their families find high quality home health and hospice care, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) wanted support maintaining patient assessment tools and quality measures for its Home Health and Hospice Quality Reporting Programs. This included developing and testing new assessment items and quality measures that meaningfully assess aspects of care that patients and families value, and that providers can use to improve quality.
Building on Abt’s work on the Outcome and Assessment Information Set contract, our researchers:
- Developed a new hospice patient assessment instrument that measures clinical care and quality.
- Updated the home health patient assessment instrument to improve data standardization.
Developed, tested, and implemented reliable, valid quality measures for these settings of care.