Nepal’s MEOR Program Monitors Health Outcomes
- As Nepal’s health indicators improve, the disease burden is changing.
- Abt monitors the Nepal Health Sector Programme to inform project/policy changes.
- Increased access to quality health services for all.
Despite its post-conflict legacy and the 2015 earthquake, Nepal continues to achieve substantial health progress. Critical health indicators are improving, including under-five and maternal mortality rates, but there are dramatically changing burden-of-disease patterns. Non-communicable diseases now account for two-thirds of the disease burden in the country. At the same time, the government has embarked on a major decentralization programme, which provides both opportunities and challenges for the health system.
The MEOR project has oversight of NHSP3 reporting on performance and has a small research and analysis component to achieve several goals:
- Improve NHSP3’s design, implementation and reporting
- Validate its logical framework and theory of change
- Generate evidence to inform stakeholder decision-making
- Conduct operational research on intervention effectiveness and quality
- Conduct research on broader health system efficiency
- Share evidence with Nepal’s health system and strengthen its knowledge management capabilities to improve overall health policy
The MEOR component enables the Department for International Development (DFID) to make continuous improvements in and adaptations of its support for the National Health Sector Strategy (NHSS) to ensure achievement of intended impact and outcomes. MEOR has tracked and validated progress toward achievement of NHSP3 indicators; built evidence to inform NHSP3 and NHSS (2015–2020 delivery); and improved learning and programme adaptation based on available evidence.
- Mortality and Risk Factors of Disease in Nepal (Article)
- Determinants of Home Delivery in Nepal (Article)
- Maternal Health Care in Nepal (Report)
- Youth Health in Nepal (Report)
- Health Services Availability and Readiness in Seven Provinces of Nepal (Report)
- Monitoring Evaluation and Operational Research (MEOR) project site