Claire Jones has more than 14 years of experience in health financing. Her work includes sustainability planning, domestic resource mobilization, resource tracking, costing, efficiency analyses, public expenditure reviews, and strengthening of financial management systems. She has provided technical support to promote universal health coverage (UHC). Jones has experience facilitating the engagement of a wide range of stakeholders and building critical partnerships. She also has experience generating evidence to inform suitable health financing reforms and strategies with the goal of equitable access to quality health services.
As senior health financing specialist for the Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project, Jones is responsible for the coordination of technical activities, including supporting Namibia’s Ministry of Health and Social Services (MoHSS) in the revitalization and implementation of the high-level UHC plan. She helps strengthen MoHSS capacity for and use of evidence-based health financing processes. She also helps improve private sector engagement to increase access to care and strengthen the government’s stewardship.
Before LHSS, Jones provided health financing support with a particular focus on Namibia’s UHC agenda and the sustainability of the HIV/AIDS response. Through the African Collaborative for Health Financing Solutions, this support included the development of an HIV/AIDS sustainability plan, a package of HIV/AIDS services for epidemic control, and support to Namibia in developing a comprehensively harmonized system of health accounts and a National AIDS Spending Assessment approach. Under the Abt-led Health Finance and Governance project, she conducted costing exercises for health services, efficiency and feasibility studies, and a health financing review. She was part of the World Bank team that conducted a public expenditure review on the health sector. Jones provided consulting services to Namibia for various projects and development partners, such as Management Sciences for Health’s Building Local Capacity and Grant Management Solutions projects, the World Health Organization, and Spanish Corporation. She provided support to various organizations across sub-Saharan Africa to strengthen their financial management systems to effectively manage donor funding.
- Health financing
- Health economics
- Financial management systems
- African Collaborative for Health Financing Solutions – Synergos Institute Namibia
- Health Finance & Governance – Abt Associates
- Health Systems 20/20 – Abt Associates
- Building Local Capacity – Management Sciences for Health
- Grant Management Solutions – Management Sciences for Health
- Jones, C., Guthrie, T. 2020. The Namibian experience of combining aspects of SHA and NASA for health and HIV resource tracking. Windhoek, Namibia. African Collaborative for Health Financing Solutions Project, Synergos Namibia.
- Schneider, P., Jones, C., Liang, L., Matsebula, T., Pivodic, F., Piatti-Fünfkirchen, M. May 2019. Namibia health sector public expenditure review. Washington D.C., World Bank.
- Jones, C.; Ashagari, T. August 2018. Analyzing the Technical Efficiency of Public Hospitals in Namibia. Bethesda, MD: Health Finance & Governance Project, Abt Associates Inc.
- Cico, A., Jones, C, Musau, S. October 2017. Unit Cost and Quality of Health Services in Namibia. Bethesda, MD: Health Finance & Governance Project, Abt Associates.
- Ohadi, E., Jones, C., Avila, C. June 2016. A Review of Health Financing in Namibia. Bethesda, MD: Health Finance & Governance Project, Abt Associates Inc.
Countries Served In:
- Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Eswatini, South Africa, Tanzania