Jeff Morris is an aquatic toxicologist with experience in aquatic biology, biogeochemistry, contaminant fate and transport, and environmental remediation. Morris conducts research and analysis in support of natural resource damage assessments (NRDAs) and other environmental investigations.
Morris has more than 15 years of experience conducting laboratory and field investigations on the fate and effects of contaminants on fish, invertebrates, and biofilm, as well as developing unique technologies to enhance bioremediation of groundwater and sediments impacted by acid mine drainage and petroleum hydrocarbon contaminants.
His research has focused on acute and chronic investigations of the effects of oil, metals, ammonia, and bacterial infections on freshwater and marine invertebrate and fish species, as well as the development of bioremediation technology using biofilms and microbial fuel cells.
Morris has published peer-reviewed manuscripts in numerous scientific journals and is co-holder of several patents.
- Aquatic toxicology
- Aquatic biology
- Environmental remediation
- Deepwater Horizon oil spill Natural Resource Damage Assessment
- Portland Harbor Natural Resource Damage Assessment
- Proposed Pebble Mine (Bristol Bay watershed, Alaska)
- Jin, S., P. Fallgren, J.M. Morris, A.E. Bland, P. Richards, J.D. Newcomer, and P. Colberg. 2017. Biological reduction of carbon dioxide pollutants systems and methods. Patent No: US 9,764,279 B2.
- Jin, S., P.H. Fallgren, and J.M. Morris. 2012. Treatment and Prevention Systems for Acid Mine Drainage and Halogenated Contaminants. The University of Wyoming Research Corporation, Laramie, WY. Patent No.: US 8,105,489; Canada 2,693,176.
- Jin, S., J.M. Morris, and P. Fallgren. 2010. Influential Fuel Cell Systems Including Effective Cathodes and Use with Remediation Efforts. The University of Wyoming Research Corporation, Laramie, WY. Patent No.: US 7,858,243 B2.
- “Pacific Lamprey Ammocoetes (Entosphenus Tridentatus) Exposed to Contaminated Portland Harbor Sediments: Method Development and Effects on Survival, Growth, and Behavior,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (in press). Unrein, J.R., J.M. Morris, R.S. Chitwood, J. Lipton, J. Peers, S. van de Wetering, and C.B. Schreck. 2016.
- “The Effects of Weathering and Chemical Dispersion on Deepwater Horizon Crude Oil Toxicity to Mahi-Mahi (Coryphaena Hippurus) Early Life Stages,” Science of the Total Environment 543:644–651. Esbaugh, A.J., E.M. Mager, J.D. Stieglitz, R. Hoenig, T.L. Brown, B.L. French, T.L. Linbo, C. Lay, H. Forth, N.L. Scholz, J.P. Incardona, J.M. Morris, D.D. Benetti, and M. Grosell. 2016.
- “A Multiple Endpoint Analysis of the Effects of Chronic Exposure to Sediment Contaminated with Deepwater Horizon Oil on Juvenile Southern Flounder and Their Associated Microbiomes,” Aquatic Toxicology 165(August):197–209. Brown-Peterson, N.J., M. Krasnec, R. Takeshita, C.N. Ryan, K.J. Griffitt, C. Lay, G.D. Mayer, K.M. Bayha, W.E. Hawkins, I. Lipton, J. Morris, and R.J. Griffitt. 2015.
- “Enhanced Biodegradation of Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Sediments Using Microbial Fuel Cells,” Journal of Hazardous Materials 213-214:474–477. Morris, J.M. and S. Jin. 2012
- Source Treatment of Acid Mine Drainage at a Backfilled Coal Mine Using Remote Sensing and Biochemistry. Water, Air and Soil Pollution188:205–212. Jin, S., P.H. Fallgren, J.M. Morris, and J.S. Cooper. 2008.
- Does Biofilm Contribute to Diel Cycling of Zn in High Ore Creek, Montana? Biogeochemistry 76:233–259. Morris, J.M., D.A. Nimick, A.M. Farag, and J.S. Meyer. 2005.
- “Photo-Induced Toxicity of North West Shelf Crude Oil in Australia: Early Life Stage Tests with Yellowtail Amberjack (Seriola Lalandi) and Black Bream (Acanthopagrus Butcheri),” 29th Annual Meeting of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (RMSETAC), Fort Collins, CO. April 8. (Presenter) Morris, J.M., L. Sweet, J. Strzelecki, A. Revill, S. Hook, A. Roberts. 2016.
- “Status and Results of the Trustee Toxicity Testing Program Conducted in Support of the Deepwater Horizon NRDA,” Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, Tampa, FL. February 1–4. (Presenter) Morris, J., C. Lay, M. Krasnec, H. Forth, R. Takeshita, A. McFadden, I. Lipton, M. Carney, D. Cacela, J. Lipton, M. Gielazyn, and R. Ricker. 2016.
- “Toxicity of Very Thin Surface Slicks of Deepwater Horizon Oil to Pelagic Gulf of Mexico Fish Embryos and Invertebrates,” Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, Tampa, FL. February 1–4. (Presenter) Morris. J., H. Forth, C.R. Lay, R. Takeshita, M. Krasnec; J. Lipton, M. Alloy, C. Overturf, T. Garner, A. Roberts, E. Mager, J. Stieglitz, C. Pasparakis, Z. Yao, D. Benetti, M. Grosell, E. Chesney, K. O’Shaughnessy, and M. Gielazyn. 2016.
- “Photo-Induced Toxicity of Deepwater Horizon Oil to Native Gulf of Mexico Fish and Invertebrate Species,” 25th Annual Meeting of SETAC Europe, geographic unit of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), Barcelona, Spain. May 3–7. (Presenter) Morris, J.M., A. Roberts, J. Oris, C. Lay, J. Lipton. 2015.
- “Acute and Olfactory Copper Toxicity to Fish Using Laboratory and Site-collected Water from Alaska,” 35th Annual Meeting of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), Vancouver, BC, Canada, November 9–13. (Presenter) Morris, J.M., J. Lipton, and S. Brinkman. 2014.
- “Copper Toxicity to Rainbow Trout and Fathead Minnows in Low-hardness Waters: Comparisons of BLM Predictions of Toxicity to Bioassay Results Using Laboratory Water and Site-collected Water from Upper Talarik Creek in Bristol Bay,” Southwest Alaska Salmon Science Workshop, Anchorage, AK, December 4–5. (Presenter) Morris, J.M., J. Lipton, and S. Brinkman. 2013.
- “Contaminated Sediment Affects Burrowing Behavior of Pacific Lamprey (Lampetra tridentata) Ammocoetes,” 33rd Annual Meeting of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), Long Beach, CA, November 11–15. (Presenter) Morris, J.M., J. Peers, J. Lipton, C. Schreck, R. Chitwood, and J. Unrein. 2012.
- “Source Treatment of Acid Rock Drainage at a Backfilled Coal Mine and a Historic Gold Mine,” 19th Annual Meeting and West Coast Conference on Soils, Sediments, and Water for the Association for Environmental Health and Sciences (AEHS), San Diego, CA, March 9–12. (Presenter) Morris, J.M., P.H. Fallgren, and M.L. Sait. 2009.
- Invited lecture: Peking University, Beijing, P.R. China, June 2; Chang’an University, Xi’an, Shaanxi, P.R. China, June 5; Hefei University of Technology, Hefei, Anhui, P.R. China, June 7. (Co-presenter) Jin, S. and J.M. Morris. 2008. Microbial Techniques for Environmental Remediation.