Murgueytio, M.D., Ph.D.
Patricio Murgueytio is a global health systems specialist with more than 25 years of experience in public health, health economics and finance, and project management. His career trajectory includes project design, senior operations management, delivery of specialized technical assistance, program support in the areas of health systems strengthening/health reform, service delivery in maternal and child health, HIV and AIDS, and malaria, and monitoring and evaluation.
Murgueytio is skilled at working with national and local governments in the implementation of health systems strengthening interventions and coordinating with international and local organizations. He has significant experience leading, motivating and managing multidisciplinary professional teams responsible for implementing complex, results-oriented health and development programs. He has long-term work experience in Latin America, Africa and the Middle East and short-term experience in Asia, Central Europe and Central Asia.
At Abt he is a technical manager for monitoring and evaluation and regional coordinator for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). He works on the Grant Management Solutions project under sub-contract to Management Sciences for Health. He is responsible for providing technical support to Global Fund recipient countries; setting up, managing and supervising international consulting teams; contributing to capacity-building and training activities; and contributing to the development of grant management tools and approaches. This work requires close collaboration with the Global Fund Secretariat as well as country partners, including Country Coordinating Mechanisms (CCM), Principal Recipients (PR) and other key stakeholders.
- Project management
- Health systems strengthening/health reform
- Health care organization/service delivery
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Languages: Spanish (native), English (fluent), Portuguese (fluent), French (basic)
- Grant Management Solutions, USAID
- Dominican Republic Health Reform and Decentralization, USAID
- Central America HIV/AIDS Prevention, USAID
- Wasihun A, A Dessie, T Asres, P Murgueytio, and E Eshetu. (2012) "Improving health care delivery in five regions of Ethiopia: A secondary data analysis of waste management practices and innovations to improve quality of care" Abstract accepted for oral presentation at the 140th APHA Annual Meeting (October 27 - October 31, 2012), San Francisco, CA.
- Hoa Thi Thanh Dam, Quach Van Luong, Nguyen Thi Ngoc Anh, Ngo Minh Trang, and Murgueytio, P. (2012) Mobilizing the private sector to support and finance HIV prevention activities in Vietnam. Abstract submitted to the 2012 International AIDS Conference, Washington DC.
- Murgueytio, P. and L Morales (2007) Expanding financial coverage for the poor in the Dominican Republic. Abstract selected for poster presentation at the annual meeting of the 2007 American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Murgueytio, P. (2004) Developing a client centered approach to enhance quality among health care providers in the Dominican Republic. Abstract selected for a panel presentation at the Global Health Council Conference, Washington DC, June.
- Murgueytio, P. and L. Morales (2004) Institutional Autonomy and the Establishment of Provider Networks to Deliver Integrated Care in the Dominican Republic. Poster presentation at the Global Health Council's 31st Annual Conference, Youth and Health: Generation on the Edge, June.
- Murgueytio, P. and L. Morales (2002) Health Reform in the Dominican Republic: A Long and Winding Road. Abstract presented at the APHA 130th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA. November.
- Miller; S., A. Tejada, J. Díaz, R. Dabash, and P. Murgueytio (2002) Strategic Assessment of Reproductive Health in the Dominican Republic: Stakeholder Perspective on Quality of Care. Abstract presented at the APHA 130th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA. November.
- SESPAS (2000) Peguero, R., R. Centeno, A. Infante y P. Murgueytio (Tech. Coord.). Evaluación del Proceso de Reforma y Modernización del Sector Salud en la República Dominicana. Impresos Anibal C. por A., Santo Domingo, R.D. July.