Steve Musau is a chartered accountant with more than 30 years’ experience in management consultancy and audit in the private and public sector.
He focuses on strengthening public financial management, health financing, and conducting cost analyses of health services. He has extensive experience working with public and nongovernmental organizations providing financial management systems design and performance improvement technical assistance. His country experience includes work in the United Kingdom, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Eritrea, Ethiopia, South Sudan, the U.S., Namibia, Botswana, Rwanda.
Musau is the health financing advisor to several donor-funded projects. He also provides health systems strengthening support to the global Health Finance and Governance Project, where his activities include public financial management, costing of health institutions and programs, and resource tracking (National Health Accounts and Public Expenditure Reviews).
Previously Musau served as a senior technical advisor for Management Sciences for Health. He was a financial auditor and business advisor for 16 years, having worked in accounting and auditing firms. He has had significant managerial experience as a partner in a firm of certified public accountants.
- Quantitative analysis - costing
- Public financial management
- Resource tracking for health
- Languages: English, Swahili, French
- Health Finance and Governance Project, USAID Global project
- Health Systems Strengthening Project, South Sudan, USAID bilateral
- AIDSTAR 2 (Wajibika) Project, USAID/Tanzania bilateral project
- Strengthening Capacity for Health Finance in Tanzania, USAID
- Health Systems 2020 Project, Rwanda, USAID
- “Grenada General Hospital Costing 2012”.Benjamin Johns, Stephen Musau, Michele Abbott, and Abigail Vogus. December 2013. Bethesda, MD: Health Systems 20/20 Caribbean project, Abt Associates Inc.
- “Cost Analysis of Victoria Hospital, St. Lucia”. Musau, Stephen and Abigail Vogus. April 2012. Bethesda, MD: Health Systems 20/20 project, Abt Associates Inc.
- “Tanzania Health System Assessment 2010”. Musau, Stephen, Grace Chee, Rebecca Patsika, Emmanuel Malangalila, Dereck Chitama, Eric Van Praag and Greta Schettler. July 2011. Bethesda, MD: Health Systems 20/20 project, Abt Associates Inc.
- Impact of Global Economic Crisis on Health in Africa. (Stephen Musau. 2009. AED/Africa’s Health in 2010.)
- “Costing Resource Requirements for Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response in Tanzania”. Musau, Stephen, Hirshini Patel, and Marni Laverentz. January 2006. Bethesda, MD: The Partners for Health Reformplus Project, Abt Associates Inc.