van Bastelaer, Ph.D.
Thierry van Bastelaer joined Abt Associates in 2010 to help develop its portfolio of private health finance. In addition to his project work on health financing for the Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Project and the Partnership for Transforming Health Systems 2 (PATHS2), he is the founder and co-director of Abt’s Risk and Resilience Methods Center and was named one of Abt’s Senior Fellows.
From June 2015 to November 2017, van Bastelaer served as deputy division manager and reputational capital director for Abt’s International Health Division. Recently, he was asked to lead the company’s new Global Market Centers, which will help increase and intensify mission impact across all divisions and subsidiaries.
Before joining Abt, van Bastelaer was associate vice president for economic opportunities and senior director of livelihoods innovation at Save the Children. He was also director of the Enterprise Development Group at the IRIS Center at the University of Maryland, where he also earned his doctorate in economics. He serves as adjunct professor at Georgetown and American Universities, where he teaches graduate and undergraduate classes in inclusive financial services.
- Private health finance
- International health
- Project research, monitoring and evaluation
- Languages: French (native), English (fluent), Spanish, Italian (basic)
- Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS), USAID
- Partnership for Transforming Health Systems 2 (PATHS2), DFID
- “Extending Health Insurance Coverage to the Informal Sector: Lessons from a Private Micro Health Insurance Scheme in Lagos, Nigeria,” with Lauren Peterson, Alison Comfort, Laurel Hatt, International Journal of Health Planning and Management, forthcoming.
- “Saving for Delivery through Technology: An Inquiry into an Electronic Commitment Savings Product for Maternal Healthcare in Kenya,” with Benjamin Woodman, Minki Chatterji and David Long, International Journal of Health Planning and Management, April 2015.
- “Empowering Vulnerable Populations to Build Resilience—Concept Note and Project-Based Applications,” Abt Associates, December 2014.
- “Paying for a Healthier Future,” with Catherine Connor and Laurel Hatt, Global Health 11: 21-22, 2011.
- “Trust in Lending: Social Capital and Joint Liability Seed Loans in Southern Zambia,” with Howard Leathers, World Development 34: 1788-1807, 2006.
- The Role of Social Capital in Development: An Empirical Assessment, with Christiaan Grootaert, ed., Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Understanding and Measuring Social Capital: A Multidisciplinary Tool for Practitioners, with Christiaan Grootaert, The World Bank, 2002.
- "The Political Economy of Food Pricing: An Extended Empirical Test of the Interest Group Approach," Public Choice 96: 43-60, 1998.