van Bastelaer, Ph.D.
Thierry van Bastelaer joined Abt Associates in 2010 to help develop its portfolio of private health finance. In addition to his project work on health financing for the Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Project and the Partnership for Transforming Health Systems 2 (PATHS2), he is the founder and co-director of Abt’s Risk and Resilience Methods Center and was named one of Abt’s Senior Fellows.
From June 2015 to November 2017, van Bastelaer served as deputy division manager and reputational capital director for Abt’s International Health Division. Recently, he was asked to lead the company’s new Global Market Centers, which will help increase and intensify mission impact across all divisions and subsidiaries.
Before joining Abt, van Bastelaer was associate vice president for economic opportunities and senior director of livelihoods innovation at Save the Children. He was also director of the Enterprise Development Group at the IRIS Center at the University of Maryland, where he also earned his doctorate in economics. He serves as adjunct professor at Georgetown and American Universities, where he teaches graduate and undergraduate classes in inclusive financial services.
- Private health finance
- International health
- Project research, monitoring and evaluation
- Languages: French (native), English (fluent), Spanish, Italian (basic)
- Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS), USAID
- Partnership for Transforming Health Systems 2 (PATHS2), DFID
- “Empowering Vulnerable Populations to Build Resilience—Concept Note and Project-Based Applications,” Abt Associates, December 2014.
- “Botswana Private Health Sector Assessment,” with Sean Callahan, Tanvi Pandit-Rajani, and Ilana Ron Levey, SHOPS Project/Abt Associates, October 2013.
- “Saving Money, Saving Lives: An Inquiry into a Micro-Savings Maternity Product in Kenya,” with Ben Woodman, David Long, and Minki Chatterji, SHOPS Project/Abt Associates, August 2013.
- “Paying for a Healthier Future,” with Catherine Connor and Laurel Hatt, Global Health 11: 21-22, 2011.
- “Trust in Lending: Social Capital and Joint Liability Seed Loans in Southern Zambia,” with Howard Leathers, World Development 34: 1788-1807, 2006.
- “What is the Cutting Edge on Cost-Effectively Measuring Movement across the $1/Day Threshold?,” with Manfred Zeller, in More Pathways out of Poverty, Sam Daley Harris and Anna Awimbo, eds., Kumarian Press, 2006.
- “Building an Enabling Environment: A Long-Term Perspective of Microenterprise,” with Charles Cadwell and Kathleen Druschel, Economic Perspectives 9/1: 20-22, 2004.
- The Role of Social Capital in Development: An Empirical Assessment, with Christiaan Grootaert, ed., Cambridge University Press, 2002.