Senior Analyst, Circular Economy and Solid Waste
Amy Rowland is a methane and circular economy specialist with five years of experience providing program management, policy, technical, and analytical support for a range of federal agencies, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), U.S. Agency for International Development, and National Park Service (NPS), as well as NGOs including the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and the Solid Waste Association of North America.
Rowland’s current major projects include:
- Leading the development of additional guidance, outreach, and training for EPA’s Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR) Solid Waste Management Guide for Developing Countries. She’s also assisted with the development of a suite of online training modules for EPA to help decision makers in developing countries learn about best practices for solid waste management. The training modules will allow users to independently navigate through information on tools, resources, and examples from other cities.
- Leading technical and capacity building support for Global Methane Initiative partner countries on the reduction and use of methane in the municipal solid waste sector, including a pre-feasibility assessment to expand an operational composting facility in Novi Sad, Serbia. She also supports agriculture-sector methane mitigation projects, including a pre-feasibility study conducted for EPA on the potential for biogas-powered cold storage systems in rural India. Through this work, she’s also developing guidance and case studies to share international and domestic methane mitigation best practices.
Rowland came to Abt from Eastern Research Group, where she supported federal clients including EPA, NPS, and the U.S. Department of Justice on federal sustainability programs and reporting. Her work there included:
- Helping EPA’s Region 10 office draft the Oregon School Food Share Guide, which outlined steps schools needed to take to reduce and divert cafeteria waste through share tables and food donation.
- Developing the Excel-based ReSource Plastic Footprint Tracker and accompanying methodology for WWF’s ReSource Plastic Initiative to help member companies document plastic use in their supply chain and estimate the fate of those materials.
- Research and technical writing on landfills, including U.S. guidance on landfill disposal and remediation of PFAS containing materials, and landfill design and operations trainings in developing countries.
- Waste audits.
- Engaging NPS concessioners to map their current waste stream and identify opportunities for source reduction and improved waste management on and off site.
- Technical assistance and capacity building
- Solid waste management (including organic waste and plastics)
- Agriculture and manure management
- Short-lived climate pollutants and climate mitigation
- Greenhouse gas emissions measurement, reporting, and verification
- Municipal Solid Waste Sector Technical Assistance for EPA on behalf of the Global Methane Initiative (GMI)
- Best Practices for Solid Waste Management: A Guide for Decision-Makers in Developing Countries for EPA’s Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR)
- Technical and Outreach Support Services for EPA’s AgSTAR Climate Smart Agriculture Strategy
- Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) Technical Support and Outreach