Ian Lomas has more than 25 years of professional experience, including in more than 20 years in the public policy and international development assistance field. He has provided institutional support to Ministries of Finance, Economics, and Planning. He served as an economist in the Economics, Trade & Private Sector Section of the European Commission Delegation in Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean. He has served as a team leader on numerous international development programs in Africa, the Caribbean, Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia for the European Union, Department for International Development, African Development Bank, and the U.S. Agency for International Development.
As Head of the Economic Development Practice, Lomas plays a leadership role within the Technical Practice with four primary responsibilities:
1. Strategy: developing and delivering a strategy for the company to be a leader in economic growth and economic governance technical excellence in its UK and European work
2. Growth: to expand a portfolio of economic growth-related projects from a technical perspective in close collaboration with the Business Development team
3. Technical tasks: deliver on key economic growth project or consulting tasks
4. Thought leadership: lead or oversee a pipeline of reputational capital and thought leadership products in economic growth areas.
Before coming to Abt, Lomas was a principal consultant at Atos International Development, where he provided business development, program management and technical consulting inputs. He led a successful proposal for the United Nations Office for Project Services Global Consultancy Service Framework and secured subsequent assignments. He served as program manager on several components of the United Kingdom’s (UK) digital transformation agenda. He led implementation of enterprise architecture and integration of business-facing applications for various ministries and agencies.
He previously has served as an economist to the EU delegation to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, a market-sector manager and senior economist for Halcrow Group Ltd., and a senior economics and consultant for Maxwell Stamp Plc.
- Macro-economic Policy and Planning
- Private Sector Development
- Trade and Regional Integration
- Public Finance Management
- Food Security and Agriculture