Jacob Klerman is a principal associate with Abt Associates and one of Abt’s senior fellows. His current efforts focus on leading roles in the design and analysis of large random assignment trials for the U.S. Department of Labor (Chief Evaluation Office, Employment and Training Administration) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (Food and Nutrition Service). Klerman also has extensive experience with survey design and analysis, as well as nonexperimental program evaluation. He has done multiple analyses for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s Administration for Children and Families and the U.S. Department of Defense.
Outside of Abt, he is the editor of Evaluation Review, a leading academic evaluation methods journal. Klerman is widely published in many leading journals and is widely cited.
Within Abt, Klerman is director of the Evaluation and Monitoring Methods Center, founder and co-chair of the Journal Author Support Group and co-director of Abt’s Development and Dissemination Grant Program (Abt’s internal research grant competition, for which he also serves on the selection committee).
- Impact evaluation
- Survey design and analysis
- Economics/policy analysis
- Process evaluation
- Evaluation of the Impact of the Summer Food for Children Household-Based Demonstrations on Food Insecurity, USDA/Food and Nutrition Service (FNS)
- Healthy Incentive Pilot (HIP), USDA/FNS
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Evaluation (FFVP), USDA/FNS
- Local Area Determinants of Nutrition Assistance Program Caseloads, USDA Economic Research Service
- Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment Evaluation, U.S. Department of Labor /Chief Evaluation Office (DOL/CEO) and USDOL/Office of Unemployment Insurance Policy (OUI)
- On Site Consultation Program Evaluation, USDOL/CEO and USDOL/Occupational Safety and Health Administration Office (OSHA)
- Olsho, L.E.W., Klerman, J.A., Ritchie, L., Wakimoto, P., Webb, K.L., & Bartlett, S. (2015). “Increasing child fruit and vegetable intake: Findings from the US Department of Agriculture fresh fruit and vegetable program.” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Klerman, JA, L Olsho, K. Lawrence, and S. Bartlett. 2014. “On Applying Regression Discontinuity: The Case of the Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Program.” American Journal of Evaluation.
- Klerman, Jacob, Parke Wilde, Susan Bartlett, and Lauren Olsho. 2014. “The Short-Run Impact of the Healthy Incentives Pilot on Fruit and Vegetable Intake.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Epstein, Diana and J.A. Klerman. 2012. “When is a Program Ready for Rigorous Impact Evaluation?” Evaluation Review. 36(5): 373-399.
- Loughran, D. and J.A. Klerman. 2012. “The Effect of Activation on the Post-Activation Earnings of Reservists.” Labour Economics.19:1(18-26).
- Klerman, J.A., and C. Danielson, 2011. “The Transformation of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.” Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. Fall, 30(2): 863-888.
- Klerman, J.A. 2010. “Contracting for Independent Evaluation: Approaches to an Inherent Tension.” Evaluation Review 34(4, August): 299-333.
- Klerman, J.A., M. Davern, V. Lynch, and J. Ringel. 2009. “Understanding the Current Population Survey’s Insurance Estimates and the Medicaid Undercount.” Health Affairs 28, no. 6 (2009): w991-w1001.
- Hotz, V.J., G. W. Imbens, and J.A. Klerman. 2006. “Evaluating the Differential Effects of Alternative Welfare-to-Work Training Components: A Re-Analysis of the California GAIN Program.” Journal of Labor Economics, 24:3 (July).