Jane Pepperall is a senior health professional with over 30 years of experience in global health policy development and in supporting national health sector development in the Pacific, Asia, and Africa. She has focused on strategy and investments to strengthen health systems and health financing. Jane worked for the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID) (now the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) for 20 years, including health adviser postings in Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Pakistan, and the Pacific. More recently she has been providing health strategy, policy, and technical advice to the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
Jane is the Principal Health Technical Lead in Abt’s International Technical Practice, which focuses on good practice, evidence and innovation to deliver equitable quality services. Early areas of work will include the midterm evaluation of the Australia-funded Vanuatu Health Program and two policy papers for Australia’s bilateral health program in Papua New Guinea.
Before coming to Abt, Jane worked as senior health adviser for the DFAT. She provided technical, strategic, and policy advice on health in the development program with a focus on health systems and financing and universal health coverage. She had technical oversight of a 13-country Australia-World Bank trust fund to strengthen health service delivery and health financing systems in East Asia and the Pacific. The work included DFAT-World Bank co-financed operations in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia. Jane also worked for 20 years in DFID, latterly as Africa senior health adviser, where she provided technical and strategic support to 16 Africa programs and related policy engagement in the UK and internationally.
- Health systems
- Health finance
- Universal health coverage
- Gender and health
- ‘Economic Contraction from COVID-19 in the Pacific: Implications for Health Financing’. Health Systems and Reform. Volume 6 Issue 1. December 2020. Ajay Tandon, Susan Ivatts, Peter Cowley, Tomas Roubal, Rebecca Dodd, Jane Pepperall, Inez Mikkelsen-Lopez, Wayne Jeremy Irava, and Toomas Palu.
- ‘Costing guidelines for HIV prevention strategies.’ UNAIDS publication. 2000. Kumaranayake L., Pepperall J., Goodman H., Mills A., Walker D
- ‘Decentralizing urban health activities in developing countries.’ Development in Practice. Volume 4, No. 2. 1994. Harpham T., Pepperall J.
- ‘Hospital or health centre? A comparison of the costs and quality of urban outpatient services in Maseru, Lesotho. The International Journal of Health Planning and Management. Volume 10, No.1. 1995. Pepperall J., Garner P., Fox-Rushby J., Moji N., Harpham T.
- Early experiences of the Health Planning Unit in Fiji.’ Pacific Health Dialogue. Volume 4, No.1. 1997. Pepperall J., Teskey G.