Jodi Anthony, ScD, is a social epidemiologist with over two decades of mixed-methods, equitable evaluation, strategic consulting, and technical assistance experience focused on improving health and health equity for pregnant and parenting people, adolescents, and children. Dr. Anthony brings expertise from her work with a variety of federal agencies, including Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the Department of Health and Human Services’ Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation and Office of Population Affairs. She also has worked with health systems, foundations, city and state governments, universities, and community coalitions.
Anthony serves as Abt’s account lead for HRSA’s Maternal and Child Health Bureau and supports Abt’s maternal and child health efforts for other federal agencies, at the state level, and with foundations.
Anthony comes to Abt from Mathematica, where she supported the CMS Maternal and Infant Health Initiative’s efforts to improve access to—and quality of care for—pregnant and postpartum people and their infants. She also led technical assistance efforts for CMS’s Accountable Health Communities Model Implementation, which integrated clinical care with community resources to impact health-related social needs.
Anthony has led several mixed-methods research and evaluation efforts, including HRSA’s MCHB Early Childhood Comprehensive Systems Initiative; The National Institutes of Health; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute’s Community Health Worker Health Disparities Initiative; and the National Association of County and City Health Officials’ ACHIEVE project.
- Women, maternal, and child health policy and programs
- Social and structural determinants of health
- Mixed-method and equitable evaluation
- Strategic support and technical assistance
- Childs, E., Geller, A. C., Brooks, D. R., Davine, J., Kane, J., Keske, R., Anthony, J., & Rees, V. W. (2022). Assessing Smoke-Free Housing Implementation Approaches to Inform Best Practices: A National Survey of Early-Adopting Public Housing Authorities. International journal of environmental research and public health, 19(7), 3854. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19073854
- The BtC Collaborative et al., McCloskey, L, Bernstein, J. Anthony, J. (2021) Bridging the Chasm Between Pregnancy and Health Over the Life Course: A National Agenda for Research and Action. Women’s Health Issues, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 204-218.
- Anthony, J., Goldman, R. Rees, V., Frounfelker, R., Davine, J., Keske, R., Brooks, D., and A. Geller. (2018) Qualitative Assessment of Smoke-Free Policy Implementation in Low-Income Housing: Enhancing Resident Compliance. American Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 33, no. 1.
- Lifsey, S., Cash, A., Anthony, J., Mathis, S., and Silva, S. (2015). Building the Evidence Base for Population-Level Interventions: Barriers and Opportunities. Health Education and Behavior, vol. 42, no. 1.