Joel B. Smith has been analyzing climate change and adaptation issues for three decades. He was a coordinating lead author or lead author on the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Assessment Reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. He was a member of the U.S. National Climate Change Assessment Federal Advisory Committee and the National Academy of Sciences Panel on Adapting to the Impacts of Climate Change. Smith’s technical advice, guidance and training on assessing climate change impacts and adaptation have been sought after by international organizations, the U.S. government, states, municipalities and the nonprofit and private sectors.
Smith has published more than 60 articles and chapters on climate change impacts and adaptation in peer-reviewed journals and books, and has edited a number of books. His works include contributions to books on climate change in the United States, as well as adaptation challenges, including capacity, impacts on systems, and implementation lessons from around the world. In 2016, Smith co-authored the Conclusion and Discussion section in Time to Adapt: Insights from the Global Environment Facility’s Experience in Adaptation to Climate Change.
From 1984 to 1992, Smith worked for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency where he was the deputy director of the Climate Change Division.
- Environmental policy analysis
- Global climate change adaptation and vulnerability
- Decision analysis
- Climate Change Resilient Development, USAID 2010-2015
- Assessment of Community Based Adaptation, Kresge Foundation, 2014-2015
- Egypt’s Vulnerability to Climate Change, United Nations Development Programme 2010-2012
- Guidance on Incorporating Climate Change into Projects. USAID, 2003-2007
- Coordinator, Pew Papers on Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation, 1998-2006
- Analysis of Regional Impacts of Climate Change, Electric Power Research Institute, 1999-2001
- Chief Technical Advisor on Vulnerability and Adaptation, U.S. Country Studies Program, 1993-1995-2001
- “A Perspective on Climate-Resilient Development and National Adaptation Planning Based on USAID’s Experience.” Climate and Development. doi: 10.1080/17565529.2015.1124037. Kim, Y., J. Smith, C. Mack, J. Cook, J. Furlow, J.-L. Njinga, and M. Cote. 2016.
- “Egypt’s Economic Vulnerability to Climate Change.” Climate Research doi:10.3354/cr01257. Smith, J.B., B.A. McCarl, P. Kirshen, R. Jones, L. Deck, M. Abd Rabbo, M. Borhan, A. El-Ganzori, M. El-Shamy, M. Hassan, I. El-Shinnawy, M. Abrabou, M. Kotb Hassanein, M. El-Agizy, M. Bayoumi, and R. Hynninen. 2014.
- “North America.” In: Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Part B: Regional Aspects. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Romero-Lankao, P., J.B. Smith, D.J. Davidson, N.S. Diffenbaugh, P.L. Kinney, P. Kirshen, P. Kovacs, and L. Villers Ruiz, 2014.
- “Hell and High Water: Practice-relevant Adaptation Science.” Science. DOI: 10.1126/science.1239569. R.H. Moss, G.A. Meehl, M.C. Lemos, J.B. Smith, J.R. Arnold, J.C. Arnott, D. Behar, G.P. Brasseur, S.B. Broomell, A.J. Busalacchi, S. Dessai, K.L. Ebi, J.A. Edmonds, J. Furlow, L. Goddard, H.C. Hartmann, J.W. Hurrell, J.W. Katzenberger, D.M. Liverman, P.W. Mote, S.C. Moser, A. Kumar, R.S. Pulwarty, E.A. Seyller, B.L. Turner II, W.M. Washington, and T.J. Wilbanks. 2013.
- “A Comprehensive Review of Climate Adaptation in the United States: More than Before, but Less than Needed.” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change. doi: 10.1007/s11027-012-9423-1. R. Bierbaum, J.B. Smith, A. Lee, M. Blair, L. Carter, F.S. Chapin III, P. Fleming, S. Ruffo, M. Stults, S. McNeeley, E. Wasley, and L. Verduzco. 2012.
- “Estimated Effects of Climate Change on Flood Vulnerability of U.S. Bridges.” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change. doi: 10.1007/s11027-011-9354-2. L. Wright, P. Chinowsky, K. Strzepek, R. Jones, R. Streeter, J.B. Smith, J.-M. Mayotte, A. Powell, L. Jantarasami, and W. Perkins. 2012.
- “Coping with Climate Variability and Climate Change in La Ceiba, Honduras.” Climatic Change. doi: 10.1007/s10584-011-0161-2. J.B. Smith, K.M. Strzepek, J. Cardini, M. Castaneda, J. Holland, C. Quiroz, T.M.L. Wigley, J. Herrero, P. Hearne, and J. Furlow. 2011.
- Adapting to Climate Change: A Call for Federal Leadership. Pew Center on Global Climate Change, J.B. Smith, J.M. Vogel, T.L. Cruce, S. Seidel, and H.A. Holsinger, 2010.
- “An Architecture for Government Action on Adaptation to Climate Change. An Editorial Comment.” Climatic Change doi: 10.1007/s10584-009-9623-1. Smith, J.B., J.M. Vogel, and J.E. Cromwell III, 2009.
- Dangerous Climate Change: An Update of the IPCC Reasons for Concern. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. J.B. Smith, S.H. Schneider, M. Oppenheimer, G.W. Yohe, W. Hare, M.D. Mastrandrea, A. Patwardhan, I. Burton, J. Corfee-Morlot, C.H.D. Magadza, H-M. Füssel, A. Barrie Pittock, A. Rahman, A. Suarez, and J-P. van Ypersele, 2009.
- “Assessing Key Vulnerabilities and the Risk from Climate Change.” Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. S.H. Schneider, S. Semenov, A. Patwardhan, I. Burton, C.H.D. Magadza, M. Oppenheimer, A.B. Pittock, A. Rahman, J.B. Smith, A. Suarez, and F. Yamin. 2007.
- The Impact of Climate Change on Regional Systems: A Comprehensive Analysis of California. Edward Elgar Publishing, J.B. Smith and R. Mendelsohn, eds. 2006.
- “Coping with Global Climatic Change: The Role of Adaptation in the United States.” Pew Center on Global Climate Change. W.E. Easterling, B.H. Hurd, and J.B. Smith, 2004.
- “Estimating Global Impacts from Climate Change.” Global Environmental Change. doi:10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2004.04.010. S. Hitz and J.B. Smith. 2004.
- “A Synthesis of Potential Climate Change Impacts on the U.S.” Pew Center on Global Climate Change. J.B. Smith, 2004.
- Climate Change, Adaptive Capacity and Development. World Scientific J.B. Smith, R.J.T. Klein, and S. Huq, eds. 2003. London: Imperial College Press.
- “Vulnerability to Climate Change and Reasons for Concern: A Synthesis." in Climate Change 2001: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability Contribution of Working Group II to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. J.B. Smith, H.J. Schellnhuber, and M.M.Q. Mirza. 2001.
- “Potential Consequences of Climate Variability and Change for the Western United States.” In National Assessment Synthesis Team Climate Change Impacts on the United States: The Potential Consequences of Climate Variability and Change. U.S. Global Change Research Program. J.B. Smith, R. Richels, and B. Miller, 2000.
- “Relative Regional Vulnerability of Water Resources to Climate Change.” Journal of the American Water Resources Association. DOI: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.1999.tb04224.x B. Hurd, N. Leary, R. Jones, and J. Smith. 1999. 35(6):1399–1409.
- “The Scope for Adaptation to Climate Change: What Can We Learn from the Impact Literature?” Global Environmental Changedoi:10.1016/S0959-3780(98)00004-1R.S.J. Tol, S. Fankhauser, and J.B. Smith, 1998.
- “Setting Priorities for Adapting to Climate Change.” Global Environmental Change, doi:10.1016/S0959-3780(97)00001-0. JB Smith, 1997.
- Adapting to Climate Change: An International Perspective. Springer-Verlag. J. Smith, N. Bhatti, G.V. Menzhulin, R. Benioff, M. Campos, B. Jallow, F. Rijsberman, M.I. Budyko, and R.K. Dixon (eds.), 1996.
- “Climate Change Adaptation Policy Options.” Climate Research. J.B. Smith, S.S. Lenhart, 1996.
- As Climate Changes: International Impacts and Implications. Cambridge University Press, K.M. Strzepek and J.B. Smith, eds.), 1995.
- The Potential Effects of Global Climate Change on the United States. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Report to Congress. EPA-230-05-89-050. JB Smith and D.A. Tirpak (eds.), 1989.