Fryatt, M.B.B.S., M.D., M.P.H., MRCP, FFPH
Bob Fryatt, a public health and health financing expert, has over 30 years of experience working in public health and social policy in low-, middle-, and high-income countries. That experience spans NGO, government and multilateral settings.
Fryatt is director of the Local Health System Sustainability Project (LHSS), a five-year, $209-million global health effort funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and led by Abt. LHSS supports country-level efforts to reduce financial barriers to health care, ensure equitable access to essential health services for all people, and improve the quality of health care. Fryatt previously directed the Abt-led USAID Health Finance and Governance Project, where he guided field implementation in more than 40 countries and oversaw 80 home office staff and more than 120 country staff.
Before joining Abt, Fryatt worked with USAID, the U.K. Department for International Development (DFID), and the World Bank. He also served as an advisor to the South African Ministry of Health and was the coordinator of the International Health Partnership and the High-Level Taskforce on Innovative Financing for Health Systems at the World Health Organization. He has worked in Asia, Africa, and Europe.
Fryatt originally was a clinician, obtaining his medical degree in London.
- Health systems strengthening
- Public health strategy
- Institutional development
- Health economics
- Service delivery reforms
- Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project
- Health Finance and Governance (HFG) Project
- “Health sector governance: should we be investing more?” Fryatt R, Bennett S, Soucat A. BMJ Global Health 2017; 2:e000343. doi:10.1136/bmjgh-2017-000343
- “The South Africa Health Reforms: 2009 – 2014: Moving towards Universal Health Coverage”; Matsoso MP, Fryatt RJ, Andrews G (eds). Juta. May 2015.
- “The Ideal Clinic in South Africa: Planning for Implementation,” Robert Fryatt, Jeanette Hunter; South African Health Review; October 2015
- “Innovations in Primary Health Care: What are the Opportunities for South Africa Under the National Health Insurance?” Robert Fryatt, Jeanette Hunter, Malebona Precious Matsoso; South African Health Review, November 2014.
- “Public and Private Interactions on Health in South Africa: What are the Opportunities?” N Kula, R Fryatt; Health Policy and Planning, 2013 1–10. doi:10.1093/heapol/czt042
- “National Health Insurance: The First Eighteen Months. Robert (Bob) Fryatt, Malebona Precious Matsoso; South African Health Review, 2012. Health Systems Trust, March 2013.
- “Innovative Financing for Health: What are the Options for South Africa?” Fryatt Robert J. Journal of Public Health in Africa, 2012; volume 3:e21: p88-91
- “Taskforce for International Innovative Financing for Health Systems: Showing the Way Forward”; R Fryatt, A Mills. Bull World Health Organ 2010; 88:1–3, doi:10.2471/BLT.09.075507
- “Financing of Health Systems to Achieve the Health Millennium Development Goals in Low-Income Countries”; R Fryatt, A Mills, A Nordstrom, Lancet 2010; 375: 419–26
- “Lumping and Splitting: The Health Policy Agenda in India”; DH Peters, S Rao, RJ Fryatt. Health Policy and Planning, 2003; 18(3): 249-260.