Caroline Quijada is a global health expert with over 20 years of experience working in countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America with a particular focus on the private sector. Her expertise includes working with corporations, not-for-profit organizations, and social enterprises across a broad range of technical areas, including strategic planning, quality improvement, service delivery, public-private engagement, and scaling novel approaches. Quijada has worked closely with USAID throughout her career, overseeing USAID private-sector health projects for 17 years. She also has a well-established ability and reputation for working collaboratively with other implementing partners in the international health community, including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Bank.
Quijada is the vice president of the Global Business Unit in Abt’s International Development Division. She oversees a team of 35 professionals working to expand a portfolio of global programs in health, inclusive economic growth, climate and energy, and international research and evaluation. She sits on the boards of the CORE Group, SID-US, and the Mia Fontana Foundation.
Before her promotion to her current role, she was the deputy and technical director of the $150 million, USAID-funded Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Plus (SHOPS Plus) project. In that role, Quijada provided project-wide vision and strategic direction and ensured that SHOPS Plus served the needs of mission and bureau clients. She shaped the technical quality of SHOPS Plus’s activities, which ranged from child health, family planning, and HIV to provider quality and health financing. She modeled adaptive management by ensuring that lessons learned informed private health sector implementation around the world. She also was responsible for a wide range of project management and operations functions.
- Public-private partnerships
- Health systems strengthening
- Social enterprise development
- Provider networks and franchises
- Service delivery and quality improvement
- Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus, USAID
- Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS), USAID
- HANSHEP Health Enterprise Fund, DFID
- White, James and Caroline Quijada. 2020. Engaging the Private Sector in Health System Resilience Efforts: A Strategic Approach. Rockville, MD: Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Plus Project, Abt Associates.
- Callahan, S., Quijada, C., Holtz, J., Estevez, I., Amper, R., Reidy, M., Riley, P., and Sarker, I. 2017. Philippines Private Health Sector Assessment. Bethesda, MD: Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Plus Project, Abt Associates.
- Cuellar, C., Quijada, C., and Callahan, S. “The evolution of strategies and measurement methods to assess the quality of family planning services.” Contribution to Quality Measurement in Family Planning: Past Present, Future. Leisher, SH., Sprockett, A., Longfield, K., and Montagu, D., (eds). Oakland, CA 2015; Metrics for Management.
- Bonnet J, Phat S, Seak K, Quijada C. “Scale-up of TB/HIV Collaborative Activities in Cambodia.” Bethesda MD: The Partners for Health Reformplus project, Abt Associates, Inc. August 2004.
- Quijada C, Dmytraczenko T, Mensah B. “Ensuring Contraceptive Security within New Development Assistance Mechanisms. Bethesda MD: The Partners for Health Reformplus project, Abt Associates, Inc. July 2004.
- Bonnet J, Phat S, Seak K, Quijada C. “Use of Information to Address TB/HIV co-morbidity in Cambodia.” Bethesda MD: The Partners for Health Reformplus project, Abt Associates, Inc. June 2004.
- Quijada C, Comfort A. “Maternal Health Financing Profile: Tanzania” Bethesda MD: The Partners for Health Reformplus project, Abt Associates, Inc. November 2002.
- Quijada C, Romanelli H, Telyukov A, Viscarra G, Zabala M. “Estudio de Costos del Seguro Basico de Salud en Tres Hospitales Piloto de Bolivia” Bethesda MD: Partnerships for Health Reform Project, Abt Associates Inc. March 2001.
- Spanish (native)
- English (native)
- French (proficient)