Assessing FMLA: Results from 2018 Surveys
September 15, 2020
The fourth survey of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) found:
- 56 percent of U.S. employees are eligible for FMLA.
- More than three-quarters of U.S. employees have heard of FMLA, but many have gaps in their understanding of its policies.
- 15 percent of U.S. employees report taking leave in the past 12 months.
- Low-wage employees report needing but not taking leave more often than other employees.
- Most employees return from leave to their same employer and job.
- More than 95 percent of worksites report positive or neutral perceptions of FMLA’s effects.
- Supplemental Results from the 2018 Surveys
- Methodology Report for the 2018 Surveys
- Methodology Report Appendices for the 2018 Surveys
- Who is Eligible? (Study Brief)
- Employee Leave-Taking Patterns (Study Brief)
- Paid Leave (Study Brief)
- Public Use Data and associated documentation guide