Combatting Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)
- Helping 12 countries control and eliminate NTDs
- Building local capacity to enable sust¬ainable, scalable NTD programmes
- Results are expected in 2021.
ASCEND – The UK government’s Department for International Development is investing £100 million in Lot 1: East and Southern Africa and South Asia to advance the impact and sustainability of national programmes tackling NTDs. Implementation began in 2019 and will end in 2022. Activities include prevention and treatment, increasing the integration of aspects of NTD programmes within domestic health systems, strengthening the national health system, data for targeting and monitoring and cross-sectoral coordination.
ASCEND 1 is implemented by a consortium led by Crown Agents, including Abt Associates, Oriole Global Health and the Royal Tropical Institute. Central to the approach is close collaboration with partner governments and other implementing partners to enhance national approaches to NTD control and elimination. The result will be more integrated, cost-effective and sustainable programmes. Support includes:
- Technical assistance to improve government capacity for NTD programming.
- Direct treatment interventions via government.
- Procurement of services from the non-government sector.
ASCEND 1 is currently in the three-month Inception Phase. Final project results are expected in 2021.