Rockville, Md. – The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) has awarded Abt Associates a five-year, $209 million contract to help the Government of the Republic of Mozambique (GRM) control the country’s HIV and AIDS epidemic. Abt will also build capacity of the government to take full ownership of its HIV response in the five provinces where USAID is the primary HIV care and treatment partner.
Under the Efficiencies for Clinical HIV Outcomes (ECHO) contract, Abt and its partners will support GRM efforts to achieve the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) goal of 95% of people living with HIV tested, 95% on treatment, and 95% virally suppressed. The objectives of this project are:
- Strengthen the essential public health services for HIV epidemic control at national, provincial, and district levels to ensure long-term sustainability
- Reach 95% HIV treatment coverage in designated geographic regions
- Reach and maintain at least 95% viral suppression among people receiving anti-retroviral therapy
- Review global experience to ensure that the GRM uses the latest evidence for rapid scale up and maintenance of effective HIV interventions
- Generate evidence and provide the GRM with data, measured findings and recommendations to make key service delivery decisions.
The ECHO project will enable Abt, a leading development, research and implementation organization, to build on more than a decade of USAID and PEPFAR investments in fighting the HIV epidemic in Mozambique. Abt has already played a major role in supporting the GRM’s HIV response by leading the Clinical HIV/AIDS Services Strengthening, Sofala, Manica, and Tete (CHASS-SMT) project (2010-2015) and as a partner in its successor CHASS project (2015-2019).
Abt partners include Pathfinder, the clinical lead partner; ThinkWell, which will work on rapid program assessments and develop incentives for behavior change; and Global Scientific Solutions for Health, which will support the laboratory systems for HIV. Abt will also work with local grantees to build their capacity to sustain the work.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is an engine for social impact, dedicated to moving people from vulnerability to security. Harnessing the power of data and our experts’ insights, we provide research, consulting and technical services globally in the areas of health, environmental and social policy, technology and international development. http://www.abtassociates.com
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) leads the U.S. Government's international development and disaster assistance through partnerships and investments that save lives, reduce poverty, strengthen democratic governance, and help people emerge from humanitarian crises. For more information about USAIDs work to foster sustainable development and advance human dignity visit www.usaid.gov.