Allison Muma has more than 25 years of healthcare research and project management experience, with particular expertise in long-term care, quality of care and Medicare payment policy. This experience includes evaluating the long-term care survey and enforcement processes, quality of care in nursing homes, accuracy of the Minimum Data Set (MDS) and impacts of payment reform.
Muma has significant qualitative research experience including case studies, interviews, structured observations, and focus groups among a variety of populations, including Medicare beneficiaries, consumer advocates and healthcare providers. She also is skilled in developing data collection instruments, protocols and training materials for data collection in post-acute care settings.
Muma is directing several large projects for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovations (CMMI). These include primary and secondary data collection as well as quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Medicare payment and policy in post-acute care settings
- Quality assurance and performance improvement processes
- Qualitative research methods
- Management of large, multiyear projects for the federal government
- Improving Nursing Home Compare and the Five-Star Quality Rating System, CMS
- Hospice Payment Reform, CMS
- Home Health Value-based Purchasing, CMS
- “Six Year Trends from the Nursing Home Compare Five-Star Quality Rating System,” Allison Muma, MHA, Christianna Williams, Ph.D., Alan White, Ph.D., Louise Hadden, B.A., presented at the Geronotological Society of America Annual Research Meeting, November 2015, Orlando, FL.
- “The Status of QAPI in Nursing Homes: Results of Baseline Data Collection using the Nursing Home Quality Improvement Questionnaire,” Allison Muma, MHA, Patricia Rowan, MPH, presented at the AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting, June 2014, San Diego, Calif.
- “Evaluation of the Nursing Home Compare Website: Usability Testing of Recent Website Enhancements,” Alrick Edwards, MPH, Elizabeth Rosenzweig, MS, and Allison Muma, MHA, presented at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Research Meeting, November 2013, New Orleans, LA.
- “Evaluation of the Nursing Home Special Focus Facility (SFF) Program,” Allison Muma, MHA and Patricia Rowan, MPP, Presentation at the 2013 CMS Survey and Certification Group Leadership Summit, April 2013, Annapolis, MD.
- “Long-Term Care Quality Initiatives: Measurement and Evaluation,” Alan White, Ph.D., Michael Plotzke, Ph.D. and Allison Muma, MHA, presented at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Research Meeting, November 2011, Boston, MA.
- “Findings from the National Evaluation of Systems Transformation Grants: How States’ Community Long-Term Supports Service Delivery Systems have Changed,” Yvonne Abel, MS, Deborah Walker, Ph.D., Allison Muma, MHA, et al., presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, March 2011.
- “Medicare’s Home Medical Equipment Benefit Before Competitive Bidding: How Satisfied Are Consumers and Their Agents with the Services and Products Furnished?” Ann Meadow, Sc.D., Allison Muma, MHA, Andrea Hassol, M.S., and John Christianson, Ph.D. Presented at the AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting, June 28-30, 2009, Chicago, IL.
- The Voluntary Consensus Process and Development of Consumer Information: Example of the Assisted Living Disclosure Collaborative,” D.E.B. Potter, William Spector, Dave Kyllo, Karen Love, Allison Muma, Sheryl Zimmerman, and Joan Hyde, 2008 Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Annual Conference.